Friday, September 2, 2011

Halloween wreath from up cycled leggings

It’s September 2nd, so no matter what the weather outside says (it says 92 degrees), I’m considering it Fall!  This is the first of many projects in the weeks to come, as I have come to LOVE the colors of Fall and the décor that comes with it.

sept 2 2011a 001

This wreath started out as a pair of Halloween leggings that my daughter had outgrown.  The matching shirt was long gone, and these were in the Goodwill bag.  Until… I realized that these were the perfect colors for a wreath. 

I used a straw wreath form, floral pins, and the material from the leggings to create the base for this wreath.
I forgot to take a a picture until after I started cutting the pants apart.  But you get the idea…
Sept 2 2011 004

After I cut the pants apart, I wrapped the fabric around the wreath form and pinned the fabric with floral pins.  You may be able to use hot glue or some other form of securing the fabric, but these pins hold so well that I always use them for wreath making.

Sept 2 2011 006

For the Itsy Bitsy Spider, I used an old black t-shirt that was also headed for Goodwill.  I cut the t-shirt into 1/2 inch strips to make a pompom using this tutorial.  Mine didn’t turn out nearly as cute or as full as hers, but for a spider, which most of us ladies are usually happy to squish, it turned out fine… I added some felt eyes and pipe-cleaner legs, and there you have it!

Sept 2 2011 016

I made fabric rosettes out of some orange fabric that I had left over from my Easter carrots project.  There are so many tutorials out there on how to make fabric rosettes, that I used a combination of several that I have read.  Linda at Craftaholics Anonymous just posted a video tutorial this week that shows you how to make them.

I made two small and one larger rosette for my pumpkins.  I didn’t really have anything on hand that I thought would work for a stem, but I made do with what I had in my stash. 

Sept 2 2011 015 Sept 2 2011 015b

Don’t look too closely, or you can see my shiny dried hot glue : )



Sept 2 2011 009  Sept 2 2011 008

I rounded up some brown ribbon and green twine.  I rolled the ribbon around itself and hot glued it to form a “stem”, and then I roughed it up by snipping the top with scissors.  The green twine was tied around the stem in a bow.

I added a bow using wide black satin ribbon and used that same ribbon to hang my wreath. 

sept 2 2011a 004

I love how it turned out, and it cost nearly nothing!  Frugal and Fun!

Have a safe and happy Labor Day weekend.

Kim


*Updated to participate in the CSI project's Fall Wreath Challenge*

Visit thecsiproject.com

Linking up to these great parties:

The Nester- You made a wreath out of what?

Southern Lovely: show and share

Serenity Now

A Diamond in the Stuff: Time to shine

30 Days Pity Party

Flaunt it Fridays

Home Stories A to Z

A crafty Soiree

Just a Girl Show and share

Friday Flair at Whipperberry

Think Pink Sundays At Flamingo Toes

Simply Link Party

Sundae Scoop Link Party

Savvy Homemade blog party

Debbiedoos Newbie Party

Running with Glitter

Tatertots and Jello Weekend Wrap up

Somewhat Simple

Show and Tell Saturday

Free for all

Whatch got weekend

Saturday Night Special

Fall Frenzy at Craftaholics Anonymous

Halloween Linky Part-ay

Halloween Link up Party

28 click here to comment:

Paper Issues

This is just a fabulous project!! I love that spider!! I also love a great upcycled project! =)

Unknown

It turned out so cute!! The spider is the sweetest thing ever! Thanks for taking your time to comment on my bins.

lauren@warmandfuzzy

I love it! I am pretty sure I have some black and orange socks that I dont wear anymore, that I may have to upcycle for a little project just like this...thanks for the inspiration :)

PS: stopping by from TT&J

Unknown

That is really cute and very crafty!

Amanda @ Serenity Now

Oh goodness! That is precious! My hubs is terrified of spiders--I'd love to freak him out with this. ;) Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :)

Crafty Mischief

This is too cute! I found you through the I heart naptime link party. I love this wreath! I pinned it on pinterest, I hope you don't mind. Thanks for sharing! :)

Unknown

This is a great idea! Very resourceful & fun! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! :) I'm your newest follower! :):) xo, Reannah

Lindsay

How adorable is this?? I love the whole look of it--and I adore wreaths in general. :) Thanks for sharing this at Show & Share!

By the way, I have a fun giveaway going on now, check it out if you'd like--
http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/09/literally-inspired-giveaway.html

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart

So cute and adorable for the fall. Perfect use of recycled clothing. Cutest spider I have ever encountered!

Kelly

Such a cute idea! Thank you so much for stopping by The East Barn and commenting on my bookends. I love the name of your blog... I think I even checked to see if it was available at one point! I look forward to seeing more!

Kelly@The East Barn

Lolly Jane

Super creative- love the wreath! Great use of old clothing for sure!

Thanks for sharing w/ us! XO

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com

I love, love, love this wreath and am so happy someone else is in the fall state of mind. Thank you for linking up at Savvy HomeMade Monday, Kim!

People Who Know Me Would Say:

This is adorable and inexpensive - a winning combination in my book!

I'm your newest follower; found you via Debbie.

refresh reStyle

Kim, I think we may have something here! Thanks for stopping by to see my "tights" wreath! Your little one's leggings are perfect! Love the spider and rosette pumpkins too! It just perfect!
Debbie

Kristin

Love it! Love how you were frugal and used what you had to make a great craft!

Meagan

Hey there! I saw your link over at Debbiedoos and HAD to tell you what a great idea I thought the tights were! :) so creative

Meagan
nicandmeag.blogspot.com

Terri @ A Creative Princess

That is brilliant and so cute!! I would love for you to link up Thursday (actually it starts tonight) to It’s a Party!

www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

Unknown

Oh I love this it's awesome!

Anonymous

I love thi project!! You have been crowned a La-Dee-Da Diva!
Come over and grab a button.
http://ladeedacreations.com/2011/09/diva-thursday-who-will-be-crowned-this-week-7/

Mimi

That is so adorable. I love it - especially that spider with the big eyes!

Unknown

So cute! Great Halloween idea! I'm hosting a Halloween link party now through the end of November. Stop by anytime!

http://stirizsisters.blogspot.com/2011/09/halloween-imagination-station.html

Corie @ Design DNA

Leasa

Really super cute!! Very creative my friend. I will have to try this with something but I don't have old little girl leggings laying around. :)

Lindsay

I love this idea! Another awesome wreath. Perfect for the upcoming holiday.

Jamie

That turned out SO cute! You don't need sisters to craft with you got it covered haha!

Mindie Hilton

OMG the rosette pumpkins are genious. I love your wreath. Please oh please link up at Bacon time, linky runs fri-mon http://www.bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

Janet

Your wreath is so adorable and fun! How clever to use old leggings! Love this. :)

Jaime Lyn at Crafty Scrappy Happy

Oh how darn cute and simple! I love this wreath so so much! I have to say when I first looked at it I thought maybe you had somehow layered the two colors together and I have to say I think I love it even more since you didn't---because I get lazy sometimes and I love that this was a simple project---I am going to make a wreath any day now I swear! Thank you SO much for stopping by my blog and for becoming a new friend! I am your newest follower---I can't wait to get to know you and be inspired!
Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

Unknown

What a fantastic upcycle! I love it :) That spider is pretty cute as well. Thank you for linking up your wreath to Scatter Girls.