Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thrifty finds to Fall decor

Okay I admit it, I’ve been holding out on you.  I’ve been thrifting and garage sale shopping, but I haven’t posted my finds lately.  Well, I plan to give you a peek at a few of the thrifty finds that I am incorporating into my Fall décor. No, it still doesn’t feel like Fall here, but I’m inside with the A/C on and pretending!

Sept 15 2011 050

I got these beauties at a garage sale.  I just loved them- rust and all! 

Sept 15 2011 045

Then at another sale, I got books!  Not just books, but old books!  I think there were 12 in all, and they were 4 for $1.00!!  I love books for reading and for display.  They have so much character.  And look at the colors- so Fall!

Sept 15 2011 048  Sept 15 2011 049

And last Fall, I found 12 of these Ikea framed mirrors for 99 cents each.

Sept 15 2011 043

What’s that you say?  You don’t see any mirror?  Well, that would be because this is the back of the Ikea mirror, and I forgot to take a photo of the mirror before I began my transformation.  And I cannot find my extras.  They are in the attic with the Christmas decorations.  They will make their appearance soon enough.  So, just use your imagination.  These frames look exactly the same on the front but just have a mirrored surface : )

Sept 15 2011 010


To get this rustic painted look, I used craft paint and a crumpled paper bag.  I used blue painters tape to cover the mirror and then just used my paper bag to smear paint on the frame.






Sept 15 2011 037

   Sept 15 2011 039


When the paint dried, I removed the painters tape, and measured the mirror opening.  I then cut a piece of burlap to fit the opening.  I also cut 4 pieces of twine to frame my burlap.  This gave it a more finished look and hid the hot glue that was peeking through after I glued everything down.

I then played around with the fonts on my computer to find one I liked.  I cannot remember which I finally settled on – sorry.  I printed the word FALL out on regular paper and then traced it onto some glittery scrapbook paper I had.  I used regular craft glue to stick the letters to the burlap.

Sept 15 2011 012


Here’s one more look at the finished project with the scales and books.  I’m still tweaking the vignette, but I already love it!

Sept 15 2011 019

Happy Fall,

Kim

**Edited to participate in Home Stories A to Z My Favorite Post of 2011 Link Party**
The DIY Show Off


Linking to these wonderful parties as well as
Craftaholics Anonymous Fall Frenzy, Fall Nesting post on The Inspired Room, Sundae Scoop, Home Stories AtoZ

30 click here to comment:

Leasa

Love this. Those scales are awesome. I have never been to a garage sale but I think if I lived closer I wold have to go with you. It is definitely not something I'm going to do by myself.

Michele Smith

CUTE! Great finds and I love how you made those frames.

Cindy R.

Kimmy,
Everything you do just gets better and better! I'm going to have to start going with you to garage sales! You're finding great stuff! I'm so proud of you and your creative ability!
Cindy

Cindy R.

Great job, KImmy! You get more creative with each new project. Include me in your garage sale forays when I get back! I used to love going!

Anonymous

Such a cute display!! Love all the details- the colored books- those cute frames and the way you displayed them in a falling sort of way!

bee blessed
mary

Diane

Some really great finds!

Vanessa at Rescued Goods

Nice job! I have to work on some Fall decorations soon!

Vicky @ Mess For Less

Love the effect you created! I love the price even more. I am a new follower from the Feature Your Sassy Sites Link Up. Vicky @ www.messforless.net

Kylean

Your fall decorations look great! I love the books and the scales! They all go together perfectly!
Ky
http://burstofcreations.blogspot.com/

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR

Hi Kim! I love your site. You are so creative!! The scales are awesome!! I am a newbie and I am your latest follower. I hope you'll follow back! Peace and Blessings!

Megan Gunyan

I love those scales! Rust and all. What a fun fall setting. Great job!!

Vivienne @ the V Spot

Very cute! I love the scales and the books. You got quite the deal on the books!
here from Flamingo Toes

malia

what great finds! the scales are awesome but i know it can also be hard to find cool old books... congrats. love your creativity! xo

Lolly Jane

Great display- love all the details! The frames turned out so cute :)

We would ♥ for you to share this with our readers at our linky party going on this weekend! XO

http://lollyjaneboutique.blogspot.com/

Stephanie

Everything is amazing! I love LOVE love the old scales. I like the way you painted the FALL sign, too!

Stephanie @ http://airforcefamilyadventures.blogspot.com

Unknown

Hi Kim. First I want to thank you for stopping by and leaving me the most awesome commment on my cupcake candelabra. You know how much encouragement comments can be.

Now I can say I'm freakin' loving your display. That is so cute using the scales and the books to display you cute fall plaques. I really like the rustic paint and twine you added to them. A great makeover. I'm you new follower and look forward to becoming new friends too.

Hugs...Tracy :)

P.S. I'm having a giveaway for a cute cupcake kit here:
http://cottonpickincute.blogspot.com/2011/09/betty-crocker-fun-da-middles-cupcake.html. I'd love you to stop by and enter.

Patty Marker

What a cute display. I love the Ikea frame redo and the painting technique turned out great. I just found your sight so I'm off to see what else you've posted. btw...I'm new your newest follower.

ArtfullyJune

Cool technique - painting with a paper bag, that is one I've never seen before.

Jamie

These look great! Love them!

Please feel free to link your cool decorations up to my Make Yourself Monday blog hop! :o)

Jamie
For Love of Cupcakes

Jennifer

Great finds!! I love, love old books like that!! I actually bought one at an antique mall and read it...it was about Napoleon Bonaparte!! And good too!
It all looks good together!!
Thanks for linking to Show & Share! Hope to see you again!

Kim Rosema

Totally awesome finds and I love your fall frames! Very nicely done!

Meredith Resnick

I love this display. The books and scales look wonderful together. You did a great job!

~ Meredith From A Mother Seeking

A Mother Seeking...

Lisa@ Lisa's Creative Designs

Very nice finds! I love old books too and those scales are great! I would have snatched them up myself!

People Who Know Me Would Say:

what a wonderful vignette! You're excellent when it comes to pulling things together!

gail@My Repurposed Life

very sweet vignette! Love it all!
great job on the frames.
gail

CountryBelle

Love those scales! I've been hunting for one of them for ages! Thanks for stopping by!

Barn Owl Primitives

I have a huge crush on those scales!! great find!! xo ~ kristi

Megan

Love the books, love the scales. I think I am going to wrap up on the comments and become a follower!

Shelby

So jealous of your vintage scale finds! Love those and the books too! Great setup! Stopping over from The DIY Showoff. :)

Roeshel

Gorgeous! Great finds and love how you've made it seasonal, Kim! So pretty!