Thursday, September 8, 2011

Sweater and Burlap Wreath

I am going to show you a super-easy wreath that I made last Fall.  I got inspired when I saw these sweater vases at Under the Table and Dreaming.

Sept 8 2011 007 



















This is a picture of the finished wreath on a wooden interior door. I will use my wreath on my front door, but as you can see from the last photo, it’s hard to photograph with the glass : )

I went to my local Goodwill stores and picked up a couple of different sweaters that I thought I could make some things from.  I gravitated towards earthy colors and nice thick cable knits.  I still have quite a bag full of sweaters, so I’ll be making some more items for this Fall/Winter.

Sept 8 2011 011  






Sept 8 2011 012

















For this project, I used a small foam wreath form found at the Dollar Store.  I cut the sweater up the side seams, so that I’d have a nice big flat piece of fabric to work with.  I stretched the sweater fabric around the wreath and padded the wreath from with a little fiberfill to make it a little thicker.  I then pinned it in place with my trusty floral pins and trimmed off the excess sweater.  So simple! 

I finished it off by making two burlap flowers with some black and white hounds tooth buttons in the center.   I roughed up a strip of burlap for texture and added a black satin ribbon. A piece of jute twine is pinned to the back to hang my wreath

Sept 8 2011 013Sept 8 2011 016














 




























I like these colors as they are not classic Fall but not Winter either.  They kind of ease the transition that is so slow in a place like South Georgia.  I’ve spent many Halloween’s and Christmases wearing shorts and short sleeved shirts!  If I can’t wear a sweater comfortably, at least I can dress my front door for the cold!!

Sept 8 2011 002

This is not the best photo, as you can sort of see my reflection in the glass… Don’t know how to work around that dilemma.


I’ll be back with more sweater projects in the weeks to come.

Happy Crafting,

Kim

*Edited to participate in The CSI Project's Fall Wreath Challenge*

Visit thecsiproject.com


Linking up to these great parties:

The Nester- You made a wreath out of what?
Southern Lovely: show and share
Serenity Now
A Diamond in the Stuff: Time to shine

30 Days Pity Party
Flaunt it Fridays
A crafty Soiree
Just a Girl Show and share
Friday Flair at Whipperberry
Think Pink Sundays At Flamingo Toes
Simply Link Party
Sundae Scoop Link Party
Savvy Homemade blog party
Debbiedoos Newbie Party
Running with Glitter
Tatertots and Jello Weekend Wrap up
Somewhat Simple
Everything but the kitchen sink
Sunday Showcase








25 click here to comment:

Stacy Uncorked

What a cool idea! I'll have to try my hand at that! :) Congrats on being featured over at Sassy Sites - nice to 'meet' you. I'm your newest follower. :) Have a great weekend! :)

Angry Bird and McQueen Together at Halloween

Brie @ Darling Doodles

I also like that it isn't "traditional fall" but you still get the autumn feeling. Thanks so much for sharing this great idea! I'm a new follower from chic on a shoe string.

Brie from darlingdoodles.blogspot.com

Leasa

Alright now I'm getting jealous. You have had 2 posts back to back of cute wreaths. I guess I need to get crafting.

I love this sweater wreath!!!!!!

Lindsay

This is so fun! What a fabulous idea to add a sweater to your wreath. I can see that you kind of have a thing for making wreaths as well. We would have a great time crafting together. :)

I am following you, by the way!

c.w.frosting

Cute & cozy! Great way to reuse a sweater!

-caroline @ c.w.frosting

Vanessa at Rescued Goods

Great wreath! Very classic! Although here in Maine, I need all the sweaters I can get!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light

Kim, that is such a great idea! I love the cable knit sweater as the base for the wreath. I have about 5 sweaters that are begging to be retired....I think it's time to upcycle them! Thanks for the great idea and for visiting my blog - it's so nice to meet you!

Andrea @Oasis Accents

Wow, Kim that turned out great. I'm on the hunt for more sweaters (orange or white) but the green looks really nice. Side note: I think our front doors are very similar too!

Anna

This is adorable! I'd love it if you'd link this up to my Weekend Warrior Party on Monday. http://www.askannamoseley.com/search/label/Weekend%20Warrior%20Link%20Party

Anna
www.askannamoseley.com

P.S. Pinning this so I can make one. :)

Nicole

That is adorable!

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants

I loved and was inspired by your wreath today and made one similar to it. Loved the way it hung at the top. Thanks for sharing!

Emily Thompson

so cute! I love the idea! I am looking for a fall craft for my moms group.. this one is going in the mix. http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

Katy Lunsford

Love this, thanks for sharing.

Sarah

Hi Kim, I am a new follower after reading Marni`s post about you on Sassy Sites!

Hope you are having a great weekend! :)

Sarah
Crafting and Creativity

Vanessa @ See Vanessa Craft

Oh I love this wreath, great idea!!

Sara

What a fantastic idea! Hope you do not mind, but I featured your post on my blog http://diygoddessintraining.blogspot.com/2011/09/are-you-looking-for-some-amazing-fall.html

Sara

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality

Kim, thank you for stopping by! all the words of encouragement I've gotten from that post have just made my week. nice to meet you & I appreciate you taking the time to leave a note.

The Loops

The flowers on the wreath are adorable. Thanks for visiting. I'm following back!

The Loops

Are you going to do a tutorial on the flowers? I am going to try and knock this off this week!

Unknown

We've barely got a chill in the air here in Florida. But that is a big difference from our smothering heat. Between that and your cozy little wreath, I'm getting so excited for the change.

Hugs...Tracy :)

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous

what a cute wreath! love the mixture of textures. thanks for joining the Fall Frenzy party!
happy crafting,
linda

Janet

Your wreath is just so cute! I love the colors that you chose to use, great job. :)

Unknown

Such a fantastic re-purpose! Would love if you linked up to the Scatter Girls' Fall Front Porch Party that is going on right now: http://scattergirls.blogspot.com/2011/09/fall-porch-linky-party.html

Lookiewhatidid

I love the sweater wreath. I have a couple of sweaters that would make a good wreath! So pretty. Visiting from CSI Project Wreath Party!

Jaime Lyn

Such a cute wreath friend! I love the sweater.... it just "feels" fall like when you use a sweater!!! :o) Thank you for the great inspiration to get fall crafting!!! I needed a push!
Jaime