Friday, November 18, 2011

Tote bag using the Citrasolv transfer method

Before I dive into the how-to for my little tote bag this week, I want to say THANK YOU to all of you who are following my little blog!  I reached a milestone this week when I hit 100 followers!   Wow!  I can’t believe that 100 people have ever even looked at my blog!  The number snuck up on me, so I don’t have any fabulous giveaways or anything –yet.  But stay tuned, I might have something up my sleeve before Christmas.  Keep watching, because I wouldn’t want you to miss it…
I have seen the Citrasolv transfer projects all over the internet. My friend Jaime at Crafty, Scrappy, Happy did a couple of adorable tote bags, and I wanted to try my hand at it too.  Citrasolv is an all natural degreaser that can also be used in crafting as a transfer agent.  The website has loads of helpful information.  My #1 piece of advice for Citrasolv is that if you want to get some, start looking waaayyy before you decide you need it, or simply order online.  This stuff is hard to find.  I found mine at a little health food store in St. Augustine, when the hubs and I were on our anniversary trip (I know- so romantic!).

There are many tutorials all over the web, so I’m going to make mine very simple.  Leave me a comment if you have any questions, and I’ll be happy to help, if I can.

Citrasolv transfer tote bag 7

Sorry for the horrible lighting.  My usual outdoor picture spot was already shady today when I went out for the “photo shoot”.  I saw this little phrase on Pinterest the other day, and couldn’t help but file it away for later and giggle.  I have several friends who are big readers… Maybe one of them will get this little bag for Christmas.  Hope they aren’t reading this!  If you don’t “get” this phrase, thank your lucky stars that you missed out on that song in the early 90’s.  Just sayin'!

Okay, here’s what you do.  Create a document or grab a graphic that you will either print or copy in black and white using a laser printer or copier.  It must be laser, or the transfer will not work.  When you print out your words or image, choose mirror image so it will print in reverse.  That way the ink will be sitting on top of your fabric like so:

November 18 2011 013

   November 18 2011 011

Then you will take a small sponge or paintbrush and dip it into the Citrasolv and wet your paper so that it soaks through to the fabric.  Don’t drench it, but use enough so that the letters get good and wet.  Then take the back of a spoon, and rub really hard on the letters to make sure that they transfer.  Look at this tutorial for pictures of this step.  You may want to peek to see if it’s working, but don’t move your image around.  Once you are sure that everything has transferred, you can peel back your paper and toss it away.  Your bag is finished!  Easy peasy!


Nov 18 2011 012

I used a linen type bag, so my lettering is kind of faded looking.  I like it like that, but if you want crisp black, use a white fabric and make sure your image is really dark when you copy it.

I added a little denim flower to finish it off.  I liked the faded denim against the linen bag and “faded” lettering.  The flower is a pin that can be taken off and worn on a jacket or purse as well.  A gift that keeps on giving!  I followed this tutorial at Jones Design Company for the flower.  She has the best flower tutorials around!  This one even has templates you print and cut.  So simple…

Nov 18 2011 008

So, that’s how you make a Citrasolv transfer tote bag.  Easy right?  I’m gonna practice using some different images and fabrics.  I’ll be back to show you those later on.  Okay?

Happy Thanksgiving!







Linking up to these great parties:

30 Days Pity Party, Weekend Wrapup at Tatertots and Jello, Crafty, Scrappy, Happy Me Thursday, Show and Share at Southern Lovely, Time to shine at A diamond in the Stuff, Weekend bloggy Reading at Serenity Now, Free for all at Young and Crafty, Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes, Nifty Thrifty Sunday

9 click here to comment:

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings

that turned out cute! I've been having one of those weeks where I LOVE the book I'm reading and friends are telling me about good books so I'm all book happy and this just adds to it :) I'd love it if you would add this to my blog party at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home

That is perfect. Love the saying on it. I love your blog (you have the cutest blog name). I'm your newest follower.
Would love to see you DIY Home Sweet home.
Jamie
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

P.S. I have another giveaway going on right now. Would love you to stop by and check it out.
P.P.S. I have a linky every Monday. Would love for you to stop by and link up.

Leasa

This is really cute and what a great idea. Although I don't like reading I love the saying on the bag.

Congrats on the 100 followers mark!! I knew you had it in you.

Heather

I love this..my friend is in several book clubs and it will be a perfect gift for her...Do you know if this bag can be washed?
Thanks.

Whit

LOVE. Thank you so much for linking up to last weeks show and share. Make sure to come back and link up this week with your latest project.

A mommy's life...with a touch of yellow
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

Jaime Lyn at Crafty Scrappy Happy

I LOVEEEEEEE your bag my friend! That quote it TOOOO cute! :o) awh this whole post is just perfect. The photos are great and your bag is just great! {I am so sorry it took me so darn long to get over here to say hi---but really really amazing} and ps CONGRATS on 100 followers!!!
Jaime

Savannah Granny

Kim, I just hopped over from Debbie's. I saw that you were from Savannah. I gotta follow you, and besides my
oldest daughter's name is Kim. I am following.
Love the tote bags. You are so very creative. I look forward to touring your blog.
God bless you and have a Happy Thanksgiving,
Ginger

Debbiedoos

That is an adorable little bag! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

c-ing

HaaaaaaaaaaaaaLOL I remember the song. Why not a BIG picture of a BIG book?