Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Birthday Cake Cups

June 4 2011 030

This year Gabe’s birthday seemed to go on for weeks!  He just turned 11 at the end of the school year.  We had to postpone celebrating, because everyone was too exhausted from 5th grade graduation, Honors Day, class party, and the last day of school celebrations!  So, we had a family dinner with cake right after his birthday and a celebration with his friends a couple of weeks later.  I wasn’t up for baking another cake.  And to be completely honest, I HATE store-bought cake!  I like bakery cakes, but they are expensive!  So, building on this super-cute idea I saw at Flamingo Toes where she featured these push pop cupcakes by Lady behind the curtain, I came up with a little something different for the party.  I admit and will continue to admit (in hopes of being cured) that I am a total procrastinator!  So, this idea came together 2 days before the party.  There was not enough time to order the push pop molds, but I’d love to get my hands on some of those beauties!  I just need to plan ahead….


Ingredients:
~Yellow Cake mix for cupcakes
~Double fudge brownie mix
~ 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
~ 12 oz. white chocolate chips
~ chocolate fudge pudding
~ vanilla pudding
~ Whipped Cream
~Colored sprinkles

To put it all together:
~16 oz. clear plastic cups
~clear cellophane party bags
~clear plastic spoons
~ribbon
~cardboard box
~wrapping paper
~mini-flags (source: Little paper dog)

Basically, I baked up some brownies and cut them into tiny squares (so I could eat some without anyone noticing).  Then I baked the vanilla cupcakes and mixed up the batches of pudding.  In each cup, I layered white chocolate chips, brownie pieces, vanilla pudding, chocolate chips, chocolate pudding, and the vanilla cupcake.  I then filled in any empty places with whipped cream and topped with sprinkles.  Everything is better with sprinkles- don’t you agree?

source


June 4 2011 001   June 4 2011 003   June 4 2011 002

We were going to a laser tag/arcade type party place, and we were only allowed to bring in cake.  I wanted to make it easy on the kids, so I decided to put their spoons in the cake cups.  Hmm…a little too blah.  Never fear!  A quick search of the internet turned up these adorable little (free) printable flags.  So, at 11:30 the night before the party, hubby is cutting out little orange and white flags, and I’m happily attaching them to the spoon handles.

June 4 2011 008

To keep everything nice and contained, I just slipped each completed cup into a clear cellophane party bag and tied it around the spoon and flag with a ribbon.  Super easy!
June 4 2011 011

Now to transport these little gems safely and keep them cool:

June 4 2011 013  June 4 2011 014

Hubby found a box and cut some holes to fit the cups.  I covered the box in cute paper and cut x’s over the holes.  I left one side open with a flap, so we could put a few ice packs inside to keep things cold while we drove to the party.

June 4 2011 016  June 4 2011 017

June 4 2011 018  June 4 2011 020
Ta-da!  They turned out great!  And kids and adults loved them!  I loved 2 of them myself- ha!

June 4 2011 052  June 4 2011 053



Oh, and I almost forgot…I let them add their own extra whipped cream!  They made the most of it!!

Happy 11th Birthday Gabe!

Love,
Mom




3 click here to comment:

Anonymous

This is such a clever idea with endless possibilities, Kim! I don't know which I like better - the cakecups or the transporter! The kids obviously loved them. Isn't it nice to have your hard work appreciated? Keep those creative ideas coming, Mom! ~ Bets

Anonymous

Completely adorable! I agree with Anon... the box was like the cherry on top. What a great Mom, and 11:30pm Dad, you are. Gabe is a cutie. Happy 11th!

Leasa

Great idea. I love it and when it comes to party planning I am a huge procrastinator also. I really like the carrier you made for them and the fact that Chris was helping you with the flags at 11:30 at night.